While wildfires may be a concern around Colorado during the summer months (although the recent torrents of water may make it seem like a forest fire is an impossibility) the dangers of an electrical fire are present all year long. According to the U.S. Fire Administration electrical fires account for only 7 percent of residential fires, but those fires are more likely to spread beyond the object where they originated. Meaning, if you live in an apartment, an electrical fire doesn’t just threaten your home, but your neighbors as well.
While the potential for an electrical fire in your home always exists, thankfully there are several precautions you can take to minimize the chances that you could be a victim of a home fire.
The Right Stuff
A common electrical danger for homes is when homeowners don’t use the correct item for a given electrical situation. For example, it is incredibly important to match the wattage rating for a lightbulb for its lamp or outlet. Its preferable to use a bulb with wattage that is equal to less than the maximum wattage listed. If too strong a bulb is used, there is a chance that the wiring of the outlet or lamp can be overloaded, creating the possibility of a fire.
It’s also important to make sure you’re using the right size circuit breakers and fuses in your home. If you are using fuses and circuit breakers that aren’t the right size and wattage to match their specific circuits, they’re not only going to fail, they too might overload and cause a fire.
The Things You Own
Sorry to say, your appliances are not going to last forever. As they age with repeated use the potential for them to blow a fuse increases. Pay attention to what your older appliances. If it regularly shocks you or trips a circuit breaker, it might be time to retire it, or have it repaired. A wonky appliance runs the risk of blowing a fuse and possibly igniting.
The same goes for your power and extension cords. Properly taking care of your cords not only ensures they will last a little longer, they’re also less likely to become a potential danger. Don’t nail your cords or pinch them underneath furniture. Doing this will damage the cord’s insulation, exposing the wires, which can lead to overheating and the change of an electrical fire.
Similar to your extension cords, frayed and damage electrical wiring for your home runs the risk of fire. However, since the wiring is not always visible, this risk may be entirely invisible to you. Whether either by damage from rodents or even simple wear and tear, there is always the potential for your home’s wiring to become exposed opening up a whole slew of possibility for an electrical fire to occur.
Since an examination of your home’s electrical wiring may not be something you feel comfortable doing on your own, TeamDaveLogan.com is proud to work with several qualified electricians that can answer your questions and give your home a thorough audit to make sure there are no potential dangers. Because while just because electrical fires account for 7 percent of residential fires, that doesn’t mean your Denver home should be one of them.